I am John Smith. I am standing as an Independent candidate in the PCC election on 7 May 2020 because I believe party politics should be kept out of policing and local people should be able to vote for a credible Independent candidate. I have been the leader of the local PCC’s team for the last 7 years working closely with Sue Mountstevens and delivering major projects working with local leaders across the area.
My priorities for Police and Crime Commissioner for Avon and Somerset 2020
- Tackling Drug Crime and taking a public health approach to knife crime
- Catching burglars and preventing residential burglary
- Taking Anti-Social Behaviour seriously and addressing the causes with partners
- Prioritising Road Safety
- Tackling fraud including cyber-crime
- Supporting rural communities and addressing rural crime
- Increasing diversity and representation of the work force
Keep politics out of policing
Policing is too important to be left to party politicians.
However good local party politicians are, they will always be answerable ultimately to party bosses in Westminster.
The PCC role is an important one – it needs someone independent and objective who can work with partners including politicians of all types across the area.
I am, and will remain, independent and will take decisions based on the evidence, professional advice and what is in the best interests of local people.